When I grow up, I'm going to make time. A lot of it. And then I'm going to give it to others.


#############################################
My life was going fine, I thought I was doing alright, and then you show up and all Heaven breaks loose.

Every human being has dreams, but it takes real wisdom to know which ones to chase and which ones to let go.
--Dick Solomon

There is a god, and he has a plan for us after all.
--Michael Scott

********************

Sunday, September 11, 2011

I can see that I can't see





Everything you do
Is super-duper cute
and I can't stand it.
--Never Shout Never, "Can't Stand It"


As you may or may not know, I had Lasik eye surgery just over three weeks ago. Now...this may seem like a grand occasion for celebration, but let me tell you what I lost three weeks ago.

First, I lost one basic source of protection from violence. I have never been punched in the face. Who would punch a guy with glasses? But now, I don't wear glasses. I'm scared. So, as a precaution, I purchased a pair of non-prescrip spectacles to wear at times when I am in potentially hostile environments--like my classroom.



Second, I lost the ability to see more clearly. Three weeks ago when I woke up in the morning, I could see. Sure it was a bit blurry at first, but still, I could get around. And then, when I put my contacts in, or my glasses on, my world became so much clearer. Now, when I wake up in the morning, what I see is as good as it gets. That's an analogy. I think.

Finally, my beautiful blue eyes.  My blue eyes used to be my best feature.  I mean, they were my one redeeming quality.  When everything else in my life was going to ruin, when I was fat, or sick, or ugly, I could at least look in the mirror and see my eyes and think, "I'm beautiful."  But, now, my eyes are constantly bloodshot, and bruised, and I may even have a permanent red scar on my right iris.  Though my eyes still function, it hurts to lose the most beautiful thing about me.  Imagine how J-Lo would feel if she lost her beautiful behind, or how Einstein would feel if they shaved his hair. Or picture, if you can, Julia Roberts without those luscious lips.  Yes, I can identify with these people, because they all have one feature that makes them truly beautiful, except, now I have lost it.  My eyes, my eyes!

Moving on.


My mother pinning me.
So, today I commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Army National Guard.  I will be assigned to a military police unit here in Henderson, Nevada.  Following are some photos from the ceremony.


The ceremony was...well, I want to say it was awesome, and flawless, and that a good time was had by all.  But, this morning I took an oath that I would not lie, cheat or steal...so I will say that the ceremony served its purpose, and we are all glad it's over, so we get down to the business of conducting business as usual.
Me and SGT Krizmanich, who rendered my first salute.

Anyway, I think my new assignment will be a lot of fun.  I hear that many of the soldiers in my unit are police officers in the civilian world as well, and that there are perks to working with so many police officers, such as dropping a name when I get pulled over, so as to be given a warning, instead of a ticket.

Well, I think it is now time for me to get back to the business of being a school teacher on the weekend, and maybe grade some essays or something.

And that's my visually impaired week in a Nutshell,
Hop

No comments:

Post a Comment