Life is like a shadow
It never stays in one place
I'm standing here anyway
However long it takes to steal your heart
--Augustana, "Steal Your Heart"
So much to say about the past two weeks. Some, I think, needs to be presented in the form of poetry, so let me gloss over the boring stuff and get right to that of poetical import.
It was Homecoming for the high school students in my classes. Thus, this week was Spirit week. I always try to dress up and show some semblance of pride in the school. This week, one of the days was "red carpet day", and so I decided to wear a bow tie. Not one of these wrap-around-your-neck-and-clip-on bow ties. I actually spent the time to learn how to tie a real bow tie. My students loved it. To the right you'll see a low-quality photo of the three high-quality people in the class who actually dressed up.
So, I found myself Friday night working the gate at the Homecoming game. The home team lost miserably in the second half. But, I got to go on a nice motorcycle ride at half-time.
Saturday night, somehow I found myself a chaperon at the Homecoming dance. This time I dressed down wearing a regular necktie and slacks, not wanting to, you know, show anyone up, as they say. Fortunately, all that practice tying bow ties came in handy, because twice I had students (whom I have never met before) ask me to help them with their bow ties. I was impressed they actually went with real bow ties, but wondered at the fact that they believed someone at the dance would actually know how to tie it for them. Risky. Tragically, only a handful of attendees were dressed better than I was. The girls were good about dressing up, but many of the boys showed up in jeans and t-shirts. Jeans and t-shirts! They were even allowed to wear their baseball caps. I was in shock and awe that they were allowed to enter the dance.
And, I feel compelled to point out that a few of the chaperons were wearing jeans, including the principal. When did "semi-formal" become synonymous with "casual Friday"? More importantly, why was this not in the memo?
I received good news today. The triathlon I was previously not going to compete in because the date conflicted with my first drill with my new unit--well, the date was changed to October 8. So, perhaps in two weeks I will post a post-race picture of myself.
Alright, let's get to what you've all been waiting for. The poems.
Love, M.D.
I'm ailing,
is my heart failing?
as I search for a remedy I am led to you
Doctor, doctor what can I do?
Blast...Now the poetical magic's gone...
And that's my homecoming week in a Nutshell,
Hop
Blast...Now the poetical magic's gone...
And that's my homecoming week in a Nutshell,
Hop

No comments:
Post a Comment